Since our federal recognition in 1969, the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux (Dakota) Community has worked diligently to achieve a significant level of self-sufficiency and a meaningful level of self-determination. We utilize our resources from gaming and non-gaming enterprises to first and foremost meet our responsibilities to our Tribal membership. All internal infrastructure, including, but not limited to housing, roads, water and sewer systems, and essential services to individuals regarding education, health, and welfare are met by Tribal resources. The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community also makes payments to city and county governments to cover the cost of services provided by those local jurisdictions to the Community. When our needs are met, we have the good fortune to assist others. There continue to be overwhelming unmet needs in Indian Country, and since it is our cultural and social tradition to assist those in need, the Tribal membership has authorized sharing financial assistance with other Tribes and Indian and non-Indian organizations through a charitable giving program. Each year the SMSC produces an annual donation report to highlight these donations.
Please Submit Requests to: SMSC Donations, 2330 Sioux Trail NW, Prior Lake, MN 55372
For further information please call 952-403-5550 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
$200,000 : Native American Rights Fund, Boulder, CO
- Support of legal services to tribes.
$100,000 : Haskell Foundation, Lawrence, KS
- Matching grant to support athletics.
$65,000 : Crow Creek Tribal Schools, Stephan, SD
- Purchase of track and field equipment, and moving a building to the campus.
$50,000 : Boys & Girls Club of the Missouri River Area, Wagner, SD
- Support for youth programs in Wagner and Marty.
$35,000 : Lakota People’s Law Project, Santa Cruz, CA
- Matching grant to support the Our Children Are Sacred project.
$20,000 : Minnesota American Indian Chamber of Commerce, Minneapolis, MN
- Sponsorship of annual banquet; and dues.
$20,000 : First People’s Center for Education, Sheridan, WY
- Matching grant to support a literacy program.
$20,000: Division of Indian Work, Minneapolis, MN
- Winter coat distribution to American Indian children attending Minneapolis Public Schools and receiving free or reduced lunch.
$9,000 : Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, West Des Moines, IA
- Sponsorship of fundraiser.
$5,000 : Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Bloomington, MN
- Sponsorship of annual gala.
$5,000 : Children’s Theatre Company, Minneapolis, MN
- Matching grant to support the Early Bridges Program.
$5,000 : Habitat for Humanity of South Central Minnesota, Mankato, MN
- General operating grant to support house construction.
$5,000 : Hunger Solutions, St. Paul, MN
- Purchase of fresh food for distribution.
$5,000 : Teton Coalition, Rapid City, SD
- A NeighborWorks training grant.